Not well translated/edited

I read up to about chapter 40 or so and had to stop due to the poor translation. It seems the translator doesn’t take editing seriously at all. Here’s a sample sentence.

Xie Zhen chose seven or eight cloths, and his skirt and tunic were all made, so I’m afraid he won’t need any more clothes for a year.

Firstly… Xie Zhen, the MAIN CHARACTER, is a female. Secondly, who the heck are they suddenly referring to when they say “I’m”? This isn’t dialogue. It’s not a sentence somebody said. It’s a simple narrating sentence in a paragraph. This isn’t a novel that has a first person POV. You really need to hire an editor to fix stuff like this. Pretty much each paragraph has something wrong like this in it. After a while I just gave up on reading it as I simply couldn’t enjoy it.

My main point for writing all this is to A.) Warn people about the quality of translation, and B.) Encourage the translator to hire an editor to go back and fix up all these chapters. Heck, ask a fan of the novel to do it if they’re willing, as long as English is their first language. It’s a shame since there aren’t many completely translated novels out there.

1 Like