Fixes to the website and Discord

I haven’t been using this website for a very long time, only mainly reading ATG. However, I have started to find more and more novels that I enjoy reading on here. And if I were to compare the MTL to similar websites that I have used a lot in the past like LNMTL or ComradeMao, Babel is in my opinion the best when it just comes to the quality of MTL. However, there are A LOT of issues with the website that should be fixed.

#1 - Let us vote multiple times on a chapter.
Getting access to this would make it so much better for readers with a lot of bricks to spend. For example, just by proofreading one chapter, I can get 16 chapters to read, IMO that is worth doing. However in the current system all I have is 50 chapters voted on, and waiting for another 100 votes to come in. This can take ages because some novels are buried in the novel list (I’ll get to that later) and to be honest, it’s just bad right now. I don’t want to spam the forum to vote on a novel when I actually have enough votes for a chapter to be translated. Or should I just proofread on three different accounts?

#2 Fix the novel list
When browsing for novels there are quite a lot of issues with it.

• There are just too many novels without any votes on them and some don’t even have any chapters to vote on, they’re basically just filling up the novel list for no reason at all. Just go here and look https://babelnovel.com/browse?orderBy=latest IMO, just slow down the addition of new novels and focus on quality instead of quantity. Why add novels that no one will even read or can even vote on? It would also be nice if there were weekly votes to add a certain novel.

• Filter by amount of chapters translated. This would make it really nice to find novels that a lot of people are voting on and have a large amount of chapters available to read. For example Nine Sun God King only has ~200+ chapters translated but easier to find in the popularity list than Legend of The Asura that is completely translated with 700+ chapters.

• Add tags to novels. This would make it much easier to browse for specific novels and can be made by the community just like it is done on NovelUpdates. It could also be rewarded with bricks.

• Novel is completely translated. Currently Completed=Raws are complete, not translation. If we could get completed translation/Up-to-date as an option that would be great.

#3 A better Discord.
You can just join LNMTL or ComradeMao’s discord and you will see a massive difference. Babel’s discord needs at least something, right now it’s so dead and there are 3 channels and nothing else like roles. Advertise the discord on the novel site instead of only the forum. LNMTL and ComradeMao feel like they actually have a community with their discord, on here it’s sadly just dead with no real reason to type in it.

#4 More incentive to earn bricks.
I’m not currently sure what else could be added like adding tags, maybe bonus bricks on weekends? Comments on chapters (might be spammed idk). Another important thing might be to showcase how much you can earn by actually proofreading, if I knew I could get 50 bricks/chapter I would have tried it much earlier. You could maybe get bonus bricks if you have proofread X amount of chapters.

These are just some of my thoughts on the current state of the website, please do give your own ideas and critism to what I suggested :slight_smile: Cheers.

3 Likes

+1! I Totally agree with you

IMO, if one single user can trigger a translation by simultaneously using multiple bricks per chapter, this would just cause heavy load to the translation server. Even currently, I can see that the machine translation took hours to finish after it was triggered by the 3rd vote. That’s why priority should be given based on popularity.
It’s only 3 votes anyway. Just put a comment and I’m sure someone will help. I have too many bricks, so I tried to help whenever I see those kind of comments.
I totally support the suggestions you mentioned in #2 :+1:

1 Like

I’m not sure how much how of an issue it would cause, but I can for sure see that there is a heavy load on the MTL. For example Ancient Sovereign has taken over a day for some chapters, meanwhile some chapters that are after get translated before, like 457 is translated before 455, so sometimes it feels like RNG (I haven’t seen this enough to confirm this in anyway, but thought I would mention it). I personally would just enjoy being able to vote 3 times because it would be consistent and you don’t have to wait for god knows how long. Do keep in mind, a lot of people do not proofread to get 50 bricks, they just get 5/day like it’s Qidian. Like we shouldn’t have to see people creating 11 accounts because they want to read some chapters. https://prnt.sc/nudv4p

1 Like